Wanna know the secret of the most successful agencies? They don’t chase new clients.
Because they know where the REAL gold mine is: their current clients.
Treat ‘em right. Keep ‘em for life. How? Client-account-management pro Taylor McMaster shares the strategies driving her agency, DOT & Co, and school, CAM Collective, in this episode.
In this episode, we talk about:
- Taylor's inspiration for pivoting from digital marketing to client management agency
- What is a client account manager (& what exactly do they do on a day-to-day basis)?
- 4 signs it's time to hire an account manager for your agency
- The importance of proactive communication to your client relationships
- Taylor's Daily-Pulse methodology for making clients feel like you're really moving the needle on their account
- Her tips & tricks for showing clients you're in their corner
- Everything she teaches in CAM school, from creating SOPs to sending reports
- Slice, dice, push — Taylor's social media content repurposing strategy
- Which parts of her business she outsources and how
- Why she had to remove Facebook & Instagram from her phone (& you might consider it too!)
- Where to get your FREE, templated client onboarding checklist
This Episode Was Made Possible By:
Social Media Rockstar Framework Free Course
The Social Media Rockstar Framework is your chance to pull back the curtain and get insights on how to build a social media strategy that works for you, learn how to create (and implement) a simple and effective content plan, convert followers into buyers, and much more.
Register for this FREE course and gain the confidence you need to use social media as a tool to grow your business.
Sendible Social Media Management Tool
The all-in-one social media management tool that my agency uses every day to schedule posts and analyze our social media results. Try them out for yourself today.
Listen to the episode here:
Or listen on Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, Spotify, or Stitcher.
Watch the episode here:
- “I'm so excited to pick your brain today, because this has been an amazing experience working with you and your team in CAM school. We reference it a lot in my agency. If there's a problem, we're like, ‘Go talk to Emma. She'll handle it.’” — Andréa Jones
- “After a few years of doing that, I realized that I wanted to do something that was more in line with my zone of genius. And that has always been being super organized, talking to clients, and having meetings with clients and kind of being that glue inside of the agency or inside of any business, really.” — Taylor McMaster
- “That is such a hard thing. I know, as an agency owner, we tend to be the client account managers. We field all of the questions. We're on all of the calls, and it's really tough to grow and expand.” — Andréa Jones
- “Really the point of bringing in an account manager is to give your clients a really, really good experience. Not only during onboarding, but ongoing: to hold their hand, to be the advocate for the client inside of the agency. So our role truly is to work with clients and keep them happy, but also remove the agency owner from the day-to-day.” — Taylor McMaster
- “This is something that I think came to me a little bit naturally, in that I like to talk to my clients. And then I found CAM school and was really excited to train my team on keeping clients happy.” — Andréa Jones
- “A lot of agency owners will say this: that it's the relationship that keeps clients longer than the results. And obviously, we need to have good results for our clients and to keep pushing forward for them. But if you have a really strong relationship, you are going to retain your clients for so much longer.” — Taylor McMaster
- “How can you go above and beyond to update clients or to let them know when things are coming their way or making sure that they feel like they're the only client in your agency?” — Taylor McMaster
- “A huge thing in the agency world is that we're all out there trying to get more clients — more people in the door — but we're kind of forgetting about giving our current clients that premium experience that they deserve.” — Taylor McMaster
- “We really wanted our brand to come off as very approachable, very professional, polished, and warm and friendly because that is essentially what an account manager is inside of an agency. You want this quick glimpse into what we are like as people, because we are the people actually with your clients. So we really wanted our social media to come off as this really warm and approachable brand persona.” — Taylor McMaster
- “I love that you have the different segments of what success looks like for you as well in marketing. ‘Cause I think it's really easy to focus on something like follower numbers, but when we're looking at a vertical that's super niche, how many followers are you possibly gonna have? I consider my brand the same: it's more about the quality of the people coming in.” — Andréa Jones
- “I think in our world of marketing, everything is so, ‘Oh, just get 30,000 people on your email list, and you'll be set.’ But you don't need that many people, you need to just be speaking directly to this niche market of people who are exactly your target market and it doesn't need to be like these huge numbers to see success.” — Taylor McMaster
- “If you like social media, you don't have to outsource all of it. You can outsource pieces of it. It doesn't have to be the whole kit and kaboodle.” — Andréa Jones
- “YouTube is still dominating, which I love! I think sometimes platforms come and go, but YouTube is like an OG.” — Andréa Jones
About the Guest:
Today our guest is Taylor McMaster, the founder of DOT & Company where she and her team help digital marketing agencies keep their clients happy—and keep agency owners focused on what they do best—with full-service client account management services.
Taylor leads a team of Client Account Managers at DOT & Company, training the CAMs to work with different agencies. To date, they have helped dozens of digital marketing agencies free up their time to prioritize the money-makers in their businesses, while the DOT team ensures their client experience is smooth like butter.
The Happy Clients Podcast
Grab your free client onboarding checklist
Join the Client Account Manager Collective program