Whether it’s an agency, in-house hire, or a freelancer, there is a Right Way and a No-Way to go about adding to your social media team.
In episode two of my three-part series on Outsourcing Your Social Media, I am unloading the goods on how to find the perfect hire.
Last episode you prepared your business to bring in someone new, now it’s time to listen in as I give you the exact steps my agency takes in seeking and finding hidden talent so you can create a social media dream team of your own.
In this episode of the podcast, I talk about:
- The vulnerable nature of handing over your social media accounts
- In-house vs. Outsourced support
- Why VAs are the Jack and Jill of all trades
- Doers vs. Strategists and how to choose who’s right for you
- Hiring Agency Dream Teams
- Knowing what you can’t afford
- Budgeting your money and time
- Asking all the right questions in the interview
- Why I rely on job posts and not Facebook Groups for new talent
- Company Values as a magnet and repellent
This Episode Was Made Possible By:
Social Media Rockstar Framework Free Course
The Social Media Rockstar Framework is your chance to pull back the curtain and get insights on how to build a social media strategy that works for you, learn how to create (and implement) a simple and effective content plan, convert followers into buyers, and much more.
Register for this FREE course and gain the confidence you need to use social media as a tool to grow your business.
Sendible Social Media Management Tool
The all-in-one social media management tool that my agency uses every day to schedule posts and analyze our social media results. Try them out for yourself today.
Listen to the episode here:
Or listen on Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, Spotify, or Stitcher.
Watch the episode here:
- “When I'm hiring a social media manager, a social media assistant, they're dedicated to my business. They work for me and me only. I find that having dedicated people means that you can custom fit them to your strategies. You're training them, they're usually employees or long term contractors. So there's some longevity as well.” – Andréa Jones
- “As you're analyzing your needs, you want to know what you actually need in your business. So if…you want higher level, high level strategy, but you're hiring a VA, there's going to be a total mismatch of expectations.” – Andréa Jones
- “I so often see people post in a Facebook group and they say, I need a social media manager. Who do you recommend? And that is not the right place to start. My friends, I'm sorry, I'm going to have to tell it to you like it is. Yes, you can find some amazing people that way. I'm not saying that you can't. I'm just saying you're making it way harder for yourself because now you have to sort through all of the tags.” – Andréa Jones
- “We've all been in a place where we've hired someone and we instantly go, Oh my gosh, this is not a good fit. And then we try to force it and make it work and it doesn't work.” – Andréa Jones
- “Start thinking about this person's personality as well. We started putting in [our job post] is, you love a good pop culture reference. You speak in memes and gifs. We want the people who totally relate to that. And so planning that in the job posting has really helped us find the right people and the people we find are excited now to work with us because we put in those little personality bits.” – Andréa Jones
- “If they came in as a referral, you may not need the application process or even the job posting. What you do need is a consult call. So in this consult call you need to determine You know, if they're a good fit for you. You need to see proof of their work and you need to understand how they work.” – Andréa Jones
- “If you're looking at a strategist, a social media manager, or a VA, a paid test project is great. I'll pay you to write a week's worth of social media posts or I'll pay you just for the strategy portion first and then we'll see how that goes, right? So you can pay for a smaller project, see if it's a good fit, and then work on the long term commitment.” – Andréa Jones
Thinking of outsourcing your social media to my team? Get started here