Imposter complex can be your greatest roadblock in approaching your social media marketing with confidence and authenticity.
It tells you that you aren’t good enough, you aren’t ready yet or that what you have to say has already been said…and it’s already been said better than you can EVER say it.
So why bother even moving forward when we have these diminishing thoughts in your head?
According to my dynamite guest, Tanya Geisler, you have to keep moving forward because what you are hearing are all lies. Lies of the Imposter Complex.
As a certified leadership coach, TEDxWomen speaker and writer, Tanya Geisler has made it her life’s mission to uncover the lies of the Imposter Complex and help high performing leaders reframe their mindset to reveal that what they believe is holding them back is actually their greatest superpower for achieving their goals.
Tune in to this amazing conversation as Tanya helps break through the mold of perfectionism and shares how you can turn your negative thoughts into unique attributes that help you show up as the REAL YOU on social media.
In this episode, we talk about:
- How Tanya’s first TEDx Talk forced her to get clear about her work’s purpose
- The Good News about imposter complex we ALL need to hear
- The 12 LIES that show up with the Imposter Complex
- The importance of recognizing that imposter complex looks and impacts us all differently
- Reframing our negative characteristics into beautiful attributes
- Battling Imposter Complex on social media
- The BIGGEST Social Media Lie Tanya hears most often
- How to avoid getting stuck in comparisons
- Why YOUR way is THE way
- Why Erika values connections more than numbers on social media
- The Model of Possibility
- The MOST important social media metric for business owners
This Episode Was Made Possible By:
Social Media Rockstar Framework Free Course
The Social Media Rockstar Framework is your chance to pull back the curtain and get insights on how to build a social media strategy that works for you, learn how to create (and implement) a simple and effective content plan, convert followers into buyers, and much more.
Register for this FREE course and gain the confidence you need to use social media as a tool to grow your business.
Sendible Social Media Management Tool
The all-in-one social media management tool that my agency uses every day to schedule posts and analyze our social media results. Try them out for yourself today.
Listen to the episode here:
Or listen on Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, Spotify, or Stitcher.
Watch the episode here:
- “We are required to stay in integrity with what we are here to teach. So for me to be in integrity with what I’m here to teach, that means that I need to experience the imposter complex in all its permutations.” — Tanya Geisler
- “There are 12 really specific lies that show up with the imposter complex and…the way it keeps us out of action, doubting our capacity…and isolated, those are its three main objectives. And the way it does that is by having us hide out in procrastination, in perfectionism, in comparison, in diminishment, in people pleasing and in leaky boundaries.” — Tanya Geisler
- “Not making ourselves fundamentally wrong for diminishment, for people pleasing…because these are aspects of ourselves that are highly relational. We are people pleasers because we value inclusivity. People pleasing is actually making sure that we remain safe, particularly for those with marginalized identities or systematically excluded folks.” — Tanya Geisler
- “This is something that is amplified by social media in today's world, especially my social media circle. I see a lot of these conversations and topics…specifically on platforms like TikTok. I'm seeing this beautiful rise of this amplification happening across all sorts of types of people and the celebration of the imperfect. And I think that's where we can really thrive as an online community.” — Andréa Jones
- “We're never going to bypass that entirely, but what's happening here is we've got this cocktail of perfectionism, diminishment, comparison and then maybe even some procrastination. So we think about this idea and we just sort of let it sit and we let it sit and we talk ourselves out of it. So we don't ever do that. We pass up the opportunity to share our brilliant ideas.” — Tanya Geisler
- “My work is so much about what's in alignment. So it has felt disingenuous for me from time to time to show up in a specific way if I have an expectation that that is how I'm supposed to show up. So I've had to unpack from all of that and really get right with my energy about what feels good and in alignment for me to share, otherwise I just won't do it. And whatever I share will present as dissonant. I can't hide it nor do I necessarily want to, that's just how I'm made. So everything that you see on my social media has been posted by me.” — Tanya Geisler
- “We do get caught up in the vanity metrics of it all. I don't have enough followers or I don't have the engagement or whatever the case may be. And that's not focusing on the core goal of your business or the direction that you truly want to go into. And a lot of people listening to this podcast relate to that. We've got a lot of coaches, we've got a lot of experts. We have people listening to the show who want to dive deeper into this because they do feel like they are ‘shoulding’ themselves too much. This should be a breath of fresh air for that.” — Andréa Jones
- “I like those boundaries as well. I think it's important for those of you listening to make that decision and try it out for yourself, see what works for you. If you don't actually decide, then it's very easy to get swept away by what the app wants with these fake notifications…So you decide how you want to show up and then you don't have to be carried away by what the app wants, which is all of your time.” — Andréa Jones
About the Guest:
Tanya Geisler is a certified Leadership Coach, TEDxWomen speaker, and writer who teaches high-performing leaders how to combat their Imposter Complex and lead with impeccable impact so they can achieve their ultimate goals. Her clients include best-selling authors, heads of industries, MPs, public speakers, leaders, entrepreneurs and rockstar motivators.
Listen to Tanya’s Ready Enough Podcast
Find your ICONIC identity with Tanya's quiz